Friday 8 December 2006

Building my flightcase - Part 1

All parts (I hope) to build my flightcase arrived yesterday; I collected them today and started building.

The parts:
One 1220x610x6mm piece of MDF, eight case corners, two detacheable hinges, one carrying handle (which turned out to be a bit larger than I expected), and two drawbolt catches. You can see four 2m aluminium corner and rim profiles in the back (the other 16 profiles are still in the packaging).
I also bought some new tools: a mitre box, a crosscut saw, a hacksaw, a roll of 100 grain sandpaper, a lacquer brush, and glossy black lacquer.


After the better part of a day's work, all sides were finished. It's been more than ten years since I did this kind of woodwork, so re-honing my skills took some time. Also, after some hours of industrious filing to get the pieces same-sized, it occurred to me that I should have used my electric sander instead, which I then immediately unearthed to finish off the rest.



Tomorrow I'll start on the corner profiles.

No comments: