Saturday 16 December 2006

Accident

Yesterday I had an accident with my bike. I slid in the corner of a motorway exit and got knocked out by the scenery. I still can't remember anything about it; initially I didn't remember anything: not the day of the week, what time it was, what I did that day (working on my flightcase, I'll get back to that in a following post), or even why I was there in the first place.

On the way to hospital, my memory came back in bits at the time, except for the part of what happened after I entered that corner and before I exited it horizontally in the back of an ambulance. I hope it will come back sometime, because how else should one learn from his mistakes?

The emergency team at Jan Palfijn hospital in Antwerp has proven it earns the name 'emergency.' After less than an hour they were making X-rays and less than an hour after that, they were giving me the results. I stayed in hospital for less than three hours.

The results: a small crack at the top of my left shoulder blade (possibly the acromion, I'm not a medic) and a lot of sore muscles. My left arm is in a sling.

My bike is currently stored somewhere and will be transferred next tuesday to my garage. I haven't seen it yet, I hope it's repairable.

4 comments:

Litrik De Roy said...

You sound like you're OK. That's good. Let's hope the bike is fine as well.

FnH said...

Get well soon!

Consider yourself lucky you're only wondering whether your bike is repairable and not your own body ...

Oh, and please start committing a bit more frequently from now on ;)

Bertje said...

When I one-handedly paint my flightcase and one-handedly assemble it, I'll be sure to one-handedly report on it on my blog.

Unknown said...

Everything seems to be ok... It could have been much worse

8 years ago, I fell with my bicycle, and the way you describe the loss of memory (forget everything in the beginning, and then afterwards forgetting the actual accident) sounds very familiar. Up to this point, I never remembered my accident myself...

Make sure you take it easy the first days... It sound as you have a concussion of the brain... Of course IANAD :-)