Sunday 14 October 2007

LastFM rate of scrobbling

Some people accuse me of playing classical music in order to get my track count on LastFM increased faster. Since all those pieces are cut up into tiny little movements, they reason, I can scrobble more per time unit than they can.
Well, they're wrong. My collection of classical CD rips (single copies for personal use of CDs I own, legal under Belgian law) consists of 196 hours, 35 minutes and 24 seconds in 2486 tracks, which makes for an average of 4 minutes and 45 seconds per track.
On the other hand, my collection of non-classical rips consists of 90 hours, 40 minutes and 19 seconds in 1230 tracks, making a track a meagre 4 minutes 25 seconds on average!

I do admit that I have indeed a number of very short classical tracks (especially in vocal works) that are only a few seconds in length. But I also have slightly longer tracks too, that are well over 10 minutes in length. So in the end, it all evens out.

No comments: