Sunday 5 October 2008

I rest my case

After a few mails back and forth between me and the Canon repair centre it's all clear now.
They told me it was an "exceptional service" of them to replace my four-year-old, out-of warranty camera with a brand new one. Apparently they usually send irrepairable cameras back unrepaired without replacement.
This BS means one of two things: either they are lying to me and they always send a new camera if and older one is deemed irrepairable or would cost too much to repair, in which case they could easily have informed me about this policy before I sent them my camera in the first place. Or they damaged my camera beyond repair themselves and now silently try to make up for it.

Another hint that the latter suspicion may be true is that the official communiqué by Canon for Belgium in which they state that cameras showing the problem I had would be repaired free of charge is dated 22 July 2008. If they were still able to repaire CCDs then, it must mean that spare parts are still available and that they allocated a budget for repairs.

All of this is moot, however, as the repair people stated that my camera had already been sent to Canon for environmentally-friendly destruction and there was no possibility to get it back.


Accepting my defeat, I went to take a look at the CHDK library to check if it was available for my camera (Canon PowerShot G9 firmware version 1.00G). Unfortunately, it wasn't, but searching a bit further, it became apparent that there was some active development going on. Yesterday, I ended up installing the first nearly completely working version of CHDK on my camera (which was out since the day before).
I also installed a script for time-lapse photography, so now I have the most important functionality of my old camera back.

No comments: