Monday 29 September 2008

Furious

Yes, that's what I am!
Today I received a package from the Canon repair centre; me happy at first, until I opened it. Inside was a brand new (at least, it looks brand new) Canon PowerShot G9!
The ETB ASS assholes downgraded me without asking, or even notifying me!
- I can't reuse my AA batteries; I'm stuck with some proprietory lithium thing that costs a fortune if you want a second pack and another fortune if you want an external charger (at least it would all cost more than a set of 4 rechareable AA batteries).
- I can't reuse my CF cards; the G9 uses MMC+ crap, which not only requires me buying new memory cards, but also a new cardreader for my PC
- The LCD screen is fixed, not tiltable; so no photographing under odd angles; something I do when photographing plants or technical stuff (PC innards, bike, etc)
- Downgraded from 10x to 6x optical zoom (from 38-380mm to 35-210mm equivalent)
- The S1 supports time lapse photography, I don't know whether the G9 does
- The viewfinder on the S1 was a mini LCD panel, the G9 has an optical, parallax-prone viewfinder that probably doesn't zoom with the lens
- And last but not least, the S1 has a decent grip while the G9 is flat; of course it fits in an inside pocket, but that's not a concern of mine since I keep as little as possible in my pockets as it only causes extra rib damage in case of a fall.

They haven't seen the end of me, that's for certain!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't know what to say. I'm thrilled to hear what your next step is. I heard about people being screwed, and this is certainly one of the top worst stories...

Topstar said...

Keep going strong, let them know they can't mess with consumers.