Monday 12 May 2008

Picasa

I just installed Picasa. I've only used it for one minute and already I don't like it. Why? Because the first time you start it up, it asks to scan either your entire computer or 'just' your My Documents, My Pictures and Desktop folders. No other option. And the dialog is not cancelable.
I probably have a few thousand photos on my computer, having them all scanned takes too much time; at least when the only thing you want is to quickly share one tiny little album.

So I choose the My Documents/Images/Desktop option; there shouldn't be too many photos in there I guessed. Wrong! (of course)
So then the thing starts scanning and goes on scanning and keeps scanning and here's me trying to find a way to get it to stop. Not a chance.
According to the instructions on the download page, you can choose which folders Picasa should manage from the Tools > Folder Manager menu. Well ... possibly, but certainly not while it's still busy with the initial scan.
Why the hell include an option for me to select the single folder I'm interested in (for now) to share, but first having to sit through a huge initial scan which I will have to undo entirely the first time the Folder Manager option becomes available?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your complaint about the "not being able to cancel the first scan" is right. Your complaint about not being able to cancel the scan, isn't. You actually CAN stop this scan when you disable all the folders in the folder manager and next only select "always scan" on the folder you want to watch.

And by the way, if you don't take that into account, you should have to admit Picasa is a really cool piece of software!

Not liking Picasa just because of one thing at the startup, is a bit rude, isn't it.

Bertje said...

I know I can cancel subsequent scans; that's why I only complained about the initial scan.

Not liking Picasa for the compulsary initial scan might indeed be a bit over the top. But at that moment, I really didn't like to wait for 90 minutes before I could do my 10 minutes work.
When the total amount of useful time spent on Picasa exceeds 90 minutes, I might start liking it. It's just a matter of time write-off now.